[obol] Our final Breeding Bird Survey

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "YamhillBirders]" <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 10:57:04 -0700

Many thanks to Sean Burgett for agreeing to take over our Riley Peak BBS, starting in Valley of the Giants. He accompanied us on our scouting trip and will be doing it from next year onwards. We could not have found a better replacement. He knows the area, knows the birds, and hears them better than I do.

I hope other birders, still young enough to hear the birds and endure the trips, will begin replacing those of us who have served our time and need to give up our routes. The Breeding Bird Survey may not be as "sexy" as the newer surveys, but it is rigorously checked and rechecked, has identical protocols for all, and is what biologists have used to monitor populations... for 50 years... and are still using.

Here is the blog post I wrote about our final survey.

http://lindafink.blogspot.com/2016/07/our-final-breeding-bird-survey.html

Linda Fink
--

POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx