[obol] Re: Oregon is Woodpecker Wonderland!

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 11:45:13 -0800

Hi Tom & all,

I don't have the new NG guide so was looking at Sibley's Field Guide to
Birds of Western North America.

One caveat is that I counted Yellow-bellied Sapsucker as not "out of
range" since there is a regular pattern of occurrence, though they are
fairly rare. So to be more of a stickler, that brings it down to 15.

Also the ranges for quite a few of the species barely graze the borders
-- or in a few cases, depending on the printing, might miss them by so
small a distance that you couldn't draw a line between the depicted edge
of the range and the border, with the double-nought pen in your
Rapidograph drafting set (for folks who are old enough to know what
those are). So in a few cases it might be more accurate to say, "without
wandering more than 5 miles out of the depicted range."

The fact that so many woodpecker species have ranges that come right up
to the edges, but not far into this state/province, is perhaps the best
clue.

Happy birding,
Joel