[obol] Oregon Purple Martin Quest - SUCCESS !!!!

  • From: Lyn Topinka <pointers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 17:48:18 -0700

hi all ... THANKS to everyone who gave me location tips to find Oregon Purple Martins which I needed for my Oregon Photo list ... I ended up with 7 possible locations near Portland ... 5 of these locations went nicely together in one trip so Gene and I headed out this morning ...

first  --- Sauvie Island ...

stop 1 was the bird housings on the big pilings along Multnomah Channel as one begins their clock-wise drive around Sauvie Island ... we saw a few birds which appeared to be Purple Martins sitting on the pilings but parking and light weren't good so we decided to just slow down and look instead of stopping ... figure if we needed to we would stop on the way back ... best parking would be at the Howell-Bybee House ...

stop 2 ... LOTS of gourds at the turnoff to the boat ramp across from the fire station ... GREAT SPOT !!!!!! ... other than a barking German Shepherd, this was a nice spot to sit in the car and watch and photograph Purple Martins ...

stop 3 ... we drove to the end of Rentenaar Road ... apparently if you continue on the road up and over the dike and take the road right there are gourds at the end of that road ... unfortunately the gate was locked so the car couldn't get thru ... we walked up and over the dike ourselves to take a look at the road and after all this rain we could see muddy spots in the road ... looked drivable tho and most definitely walkable ... we did not hike out however as time was a factor ...

next --- Goble and Prescott Beach ...

stop 4 ... the boat dock at Goble has wooden houses on the pilings and they were occupied by Purple Martins, European Starlings, and House Sparrows ... also saw one Violet-Green Swallow fly by but couldn't tell if there was a family of VG Swallows or not ...

stop 5 ... there is a set of gourds next to the caretaker's house at Prescott Beach ... we saw no action there what-so-ever ...

from Prescott Beach we just headed up to Rainier/Longview-Kelso and came back home the Washington side down I-5 ... it was a nice loop trip ...

the other 2 locations in the Portland area suggested for Purple Martins were near the houseboats at Oaks Bottom and at the Sea Scout base near Broughton Beach ...

I also had 2 folks suggesting the drive out to Tillamook for the BEST place to photograph Purple Martins ... after seeing one gentlemans photos --- it looks like a fantastic place to go ... maybe next year ...

good birding and thanks everyone ...
Lyn
Vancouver, Washington

Lyn Topinka