[obol] Oregon 2020 Birding Blitzes--save the dates

  • From: "W. Douglas Robinson" <w.douglas.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:25:20 -0500

Hi all,

The Oregon 2020 Birds project will be hosting 3 breeding season County Birding
Blitzes in May and June. Please save the dates if you'd like to join us:

31 May - 1 June:  Morrow County

7-8 June: Columbia County

21-22 June:  Baker County

You can learn more at oregon2020.com. Find the County Blitzes link at the top
of the page.

In brief, however, these are similar to Christmas counts where teams of
volunteers visit assigned areas (but within counties, not circles) and count
birds. You can join us for one or both days. We typically meet Friday
evening/early Saturday morning to provide maps, instructions, set up teams,
etc, for Saturday morning's efforts. Then we meet up mid-afternoon to share
stories about what we discovered, tally up the species list, and hand in data.
Our Oregon 2020 team enters all of your observations for you into eBird, so
there's no data entry burden for you!

Then, for those who want to chase interesting birds or count in another area,
we repeat the process for Sunday. So, please join us for one or both days, and
in one, two, or all three counties! We've selected counties that have
relatively sparse breeding season data in eBird. Come help us fill in the gaps.

In the next couple weeks we will prepare the online registration links so you
can let us know in advance if you plan to join us. But there's a little more
information currently available at the web page, as well as a summary of our
super successful Polk County blitz last June.

More soon! Looking forward to exploring some new places with you!

Doug, Jenna, Tyler and the 2020 team