[obol] On The Right Trail

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 02:18:11 +0000

I was up before O dark thirty this morning looking forward to a good day
birding at elevation in the cascades but ran into a gate across the road
that serves an area I've been waiting to check for several months. That was
bad news for me. It meant an entire day's effort was just scrapped. The
good news was a small sign tacked to the trunk of a nearby tree that read,
in part, " . . . . . road is closed from March 1st - July 15th to protect
resources in the area." Cars are restricted from entry, but foot traffic is
permitted. So it's possible get into the area, but the elevation gain is
significant from where ever you start, and the choices are to walk six
miles one way by road or a mile and a half cross-country through heavily
timbered, sometimes very steep terrain. I was not prepared for either so I
headed home.

As I was coming back into town I thought I should not waste a perfectly
good morning, so swung by the Clackamas River Trail to see what I might
find. All the while thinking that I am on the right trail.

I was five minutes or less into my birding walk along the Clackamas River
when I was pleasantly surprised by the distinct, nearby, song of a WILLOW
FLYCATCHER. During the time I chased the flycatcher from one perch to the
next over an area roughly 100 yards in diameter, I enjoyed a bunch of birds
in close proximity. Other species found and photographed include, in order
of appearance, LAZULI BUNTING, HOUSE WREN, AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, WILLOW
FLYCATCHER, an extraordinary flock of HOUSE WREN foraging together, BARN
SWALLOW, CLIFF SWALLOW and a encore performance of the WILLOW FLYCATCHER.

http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2015/6/on-the-right-trail