[obol] Offshore Flow- Wednesday

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 19:39:40 -0700

On 5 May last year we had an offshore flow event in Coos County that
produced only the 2nd BLACK TERN record in Coos County. I also saw 4
Sandhill Cranes fly over (my 2nd sighting in 15 yrs.) and had a Bank
Swallow (rare but regular, usually not so early) at the old Weyco Pond Site
on the N. Spit of Coos Bay.  Wednesday is only the 30th of April, a bit
early for most migrants, but if we have an east wind event, and temps get
up to 80F in Coos Bay as predicted last I checked, it could be a very
interesting day on the coast.  Might be a good day to skip work and wear
some shorts on the coast- not often can we do that in Oregon and at least
be comfortable!

We'll see if the predicted weather this evening happens on Wednesday. Oh,
with east winds, shorebird migration is usually pretty slow. However, east
wind events are rare on the coast and usual turn into howling winds out of
the NW the next day- good shorebird migration weather.

Good week for birding ahead!
Tim R
Coos Bay