[obol] Oct 19 Benton belated late date migrant

  • From: "Karan Fairchild" <alderspr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Midvalley Birding'" <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oregon Birds Online" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 07:24:12 -0700

Along the Finley NWR Homer Campbell trail to Cabell Marsh, Karan and I both
heard a SWAINSON'S THRUSH whit call numerous times, but without being able
to see it among the dense shrub layer, or draw it into view with pishing.
Pretty unmistakable as one of our most abundant migrants.   We heard it very
near the resting bench with the small Corvallis Audubon plaque.

Less surprising, later in the day at home (see eBird Alder Spring tract
hotspot) our ever-vigilant dog drew our attention to a  single TURKEY
VULTURE.
Jim and Karan Fairchild
6 mi SW of Philomath, Benton County