[obol] Not just one but two Tropical Kingbirds near Wireless Rd.

  • From: Lee Cain <lcain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Listserve <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:32:05 -0800

Mike Patterson left me a voicemail today about the TROPICAL KINGBIRD he
found just south of Astoria (near Wireless Rd), so right after school I
zipped over to look for it.  I found it without any problem, catching more
hornets like the one he photographed, and soon figured out there were TWO
Tropics,  not just one.  They are hanging out near the intersection of
Young's Bay Rd and Stoner Rd, near the house with all the crab pot buoys on
the fence. One bird, with a missing feather patch, was aggressively
harassing the other in between flycatching forays, with quite bit of
vocalizing twitters.

They almost always seem to show up in our area on east wind days...

--
Lee Cain
Astoria