[obol] Northern Shrike, Fern Ridge

  • From: "John Sullivan" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "oropendolas@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 13:26:26 -0400

I assume it's the same bird, first reported by Paul Sullivan last Friday, 10-3.
Last night it was hanging out in the same area that Paul had reported, the
willow / cottonwood lined pond near the Royal observation platform. It was busy
chasing Yellow-rumps and Red-winged Blackbirds around.

I talked to a couple birders that had seen the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper earlier
in the day. I didn't see it last night, but I'm sure it was still around.The
flood gates are open and the reservoir level is dropping rapidly, creating
extensive mud flats on the North side of Royal Ave. Lots and lots of birds out
there!

Warning: The Fisher Unit will be closed to all entry beyond Royal Avenue and
the observation platform this Thursday and Friday, Oct 9-10. Duck hunting
season opens this Saturday, Oct 11.

Good Birding,

John Sullivan