[obol] North Eugene Redhead and other ducks

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 16:26:23 -0800

I biked along the northern Willamette river and found a nice mix of ducks
on the gravel pond there today. On crossing the Owosso Bridge, 4 BALD
EAGLES were calling loudly and chasing each other through the air, swooping
up and down and around so close I could almost feel their wings. Amazing!
They eventually landed in pairs in two trees and gave their incredible
calls, and then resumed swooping around, as though playing. All were
adults. What a neat surprise!

The gravel pond was stuffed with ducks and grebes. Species of note are as
follows:

REDHEAD - 1 basic-plumaged male, with reddish head and blue bill, with a
large raft of wigeon and Ring-necked Ducks
HORNED GREBE - 1
Western Grebe - 4
Canvasback - 5, two males and three females
Ruddy Duck - 1
Common Merganser - 1

LESSER SCAUP are back in rafts along the river. Wigeon were most prevalent
on the pond.

Good birding,
Thomas Meinzen