[obol] Nicolai Mt BBS - 6/14/2015

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 13:34:35 -0700

I spent the morning doing the Nicolai Mt Breeding Bird Survey route.
This is my 26th year doing a BBS and my 23rd on this particular route.

I recorded 59 species and 505 individuals. The species count is
slightly below the average which is 62 species. Notable species include
2 GRAY JAYS on the Nicolai Mainline at mile-marker 2 and an AMERICAN
KESTREL at the fire station near Brownsmead. Gray Jays have been seen
on eight previous counts and American Kestrel only once before.

Most species counts were about average. Yellow Warbler and American
Goldfinch numbers were down. The only surprising misses were Marsh Wren
(first miss ever) and Spotted Towhee (missed twice previously).

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR