[obol] Nehalem Geese and other sightings

  • From: Mitch Ratzlaff <mitch.ratzlaff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx" <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 23:12:17 -0700

It is interesting to me to see these posts on OBOL today. I just returned
from a two-day fishing trip on the Nehalem River and saw several large
flocks of Greater White-fronted Geese coming in off the ocean headed SE
yesterday. Today, no white-fronts, but several smaller (in number) and
lower (in altitude) flocks of cacklers did the same. Wonder what will be
reported from the Valley refuges tomorrow?

There were two Wandering Tattlers mixed in with about 15-20 Turnstones on
the S jetty today, and a tight flock of 12-14 Marbled Godwits flew S just
off the jetties around 1:30pm. There were tons of gulls (with Heermans and
the usuals) around, trying to steal our bait, and lots of pelicans too.
We watched a basic-plumaged Common Murre repeatedly diving just behind our
boat, we think trying to nab our herring under the water. It finally gave
up, but it was an interesting and captivating show, even for the other 4
guys ( non-birders) on the boat. A large raft of Western Grebes ( sans
Clark's) were joined by a single Red-necked today, and a lonely Marbled
Murrelet swam and dove near the tip of the S jetty both days.

Tonight as I finished cleaning up outside, I heard several Swainson's
Thrushes in the clear night sky. What a fantastic couple of days.

Mitch Ratzlaff