[obol] Native habitat, also xbills

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 14:54:24 -0700

In theory native plants are good and bring native birds. I have been
replanting my yard with that in mind (red alder, snowberry, Oregon grape,
currant, twinberry). However, I do wonder sometimes at the amount of energy
that can go into removing non-native blackberry, a plant that is obviously
useful to birds.

Gorse and scotch broom, oy, nasty stuff. Last year when Sean Burns and I
managed a cross-country stagger near Lily Lake I named it the Gorsewest Passage.

A little further off the ground, there is a persistent flock of about 14 Red
Crossbills in my neighborhood near New Hope Bible College in SW Eugene. Pretty
marginal habitat. They seem to be checking out each evergreen tree.
.
.
Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon

On May 10, 2015, at 2:42 PM, DJ Lauten and KACastelein wrote:

On 5/10/2015 1:07 PM, Harry Fuller wrote:
native plant fanatics

Now there is a term I have never heard before. Anyone who thinks non
natives are ok ought to come to my yard where we are overwhelmed by gorse,
scotch broom, acacia, and blackberry, amongst other things, and explain to me
how this is somehow better than native vegetation.

Frankly, I don't think anyone who supports native plants can possibly be
called a fanatic. I think they should be called intelligent.

Cheers
Dave Lauten
Bandon OR