[obol] N. Eugene/Santa Clara Cal. Quail

  • From: "woodenapple@xxxxxxxx" <woodenapple@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:13:17 GMT

Obolists,

I had to do quite a double-take this afternoon when I observed a male
CALIFORNIA QUAIL scratching for food underneath our feeding station.  I'm not
sure from where he may have come to arrive in our suburban backyard since the
nearest significant open space is more than a mile of houses and backyards
away.  He didn't appear to be domesticated in that he took cover as soon as he
saw me.  This is the only sighting of this species here in over 17 years of
residence.

Note to Marcia M. in Santa Clara: have you had California Quail at your place?
(Marcia lives about a mile from us on the edge of open space and might shed
some light on the quail's origins.)

Rudi