[obol] Mt. Tabor yesterday

  • From: Christopher Hinkle <christopher.hinkle2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 22:50:24 -0700

Had a busy day yesterday and never got around to posting. I was in Portland
for the weekend so my mom and I birded Mt. Tabor yesterday morning (4/20)
from 8:30 to noonish. (We were also up there in the afternoon of 4/19 and
had a slightly early WESTERN TANAGER.) Migrants on 4/20:

Northern Harrier  1
Hammond's Flycatcher  4-5
Dusky Flycatcher  1
Pacific-slope Flycatcher  2
Cassin's Vireo  4-5
Warbling Vireo  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  8
Hermit Thrush  7
Orange-crowned Warbler  8
Nashville Warbler  5-6
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  10
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)  20+
Black-throated Gray Warbler  15+
Townsend's Warbler  12+
Wilson's Warbler  1
Lincoln's Sparrow  1

The Dusky Flycatcher and Warbling Vireo were slightly early. A quick note
on Dusky Flycatchers: From 2011 - 2013, between late April and late May, I
recorded Duskys on 68% of morning birding trips to Tabor. Low count 0 (32%
of trips), median count 1 (42% of trips), high count 8 (twice), average
count about 1.3/trip. Recognizing their call note is by far the best way to
detect and identify them.

Cheers,

Christopher Hinkle