[obol] Mt. Tabor, Portland

  • From: Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 14:57:32 -0700

I ran home briefly (on Mt. Tabor) around 1:00 PM after my wife Alice told me
about a very large number of birds in the neighborhood. A huge slug of migrant
AMERICAN ROBINS was present, the number was somewhere north of 50. Along with
them were 5 TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES, the most I have seen in one day on Tabor.
Also, present were 3 VARIED THRUSHES, ~ 20 CEDAR WAXWINGS, 2 TOWNSEND'S
WARBLERS and the already present assorted FOX SPARROWS, JUNCOS, and other
neighborhood birds. They were feeding on a laurel tree (Bay Laurel?) loaded
with berries, highbush cranberries and evergreen huckleberries in my yard. It
was quite the scene with birds flying all around.

Gerard Lillie
Portland, OR