[obol] More South Coast Birds- another Acorn Woodpecker

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 04:43:39 -0700

Joe Metzler reports another Coos ACORN WOODPECKER.  This one flew over
while he was south and west of Gold and Silver Falls on Weyerhaeuser lands
(east central portion of county) on Tuesday- an unusual location for sure!

I saw both juvie RUFFS (as Roger Robb reported) later in the PM on Tuesday
on the north spit, there may have been two on Monday also.  I saw one then
but did not stay to long as I did not want to flush the bird before someone
else was able to see it too.

I just happened to be out at Pigeon Point in the PM on Tuesday (not knowing
of Rogers ST Sand earlier in the day) and there were zero shorebirds!
 There were 50 ELEGANT TERNS fishing off the Empire boat ramp though.  Tom
Gaskill saw some roosting along the old Sitkum dock earlier in the day
where they roosted last year, sounds like they are using it again now (when
they are not actively foraging).

So here are the latest south coast  Elegant Tern numbers I have heard of:

300- Brookings on Monday (Christi Loring)
200- Gold Beach area, Monday
200- Bandon on Sunday (Peter Low) with 60 there on Monday (Glenn Harkleroad)
200- Coos Bay Sunday (Tom Gaskill) with 50 still there on Tuesday

The 200 in Bandon/Coos Bay on Sunday may have been the same 200, but its
hard to nail the exact number down, I would say in the 700 neighborhood for
the south coast though. Oh, the 200 ties a record for the most birds ever
reported from Coos.  Also, last year this time we had almost double the
number of birds but they stayed mostly in Curry. The last few years have
been pretty phenomenal for this species in Oregon!

Merry migration on a clear morning in Coos Bay,
Tim R