[obol] Missing good birds

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 14:47:14 -0800

Hi:

I would hope I would recognize a rare bird if I saw it.  But until a few days
ago I did not realize Common Scoter was now different than Black Scoter.  I
would have seen that bird as simply an odd Black Scoter.  I was thinking of the
odd rare birds that might be in Oregon right under our noses. I am  Not talking
about all the odd peeps and shearwater/petrels to be found. We all know of
those issues.  I think it would be interesting to know of any other rare birds
that have no chance of being here but just might be  in focus in our binos now
and we do not know it.  I am not talking about screwing up on  a warbler, vireo
or sparrow. Mostly thinking birds many do not realize exist as species that are
very similar to common birds around here.  Things I wonder about and look for:

Common Rosefinch
Goosander subspecies
Black Guillemot
Siberian subsp / olive backed Pipits or any pipit with streaked backs
Common Scoter (just added)
Any big gull, yellow legs or black tails
Any sparrow looking bird with white in the tail, thinking emberiza here ..
Japanese Murrelet. ...added this fall

I need to cruise through a good asian field guide.

Bob Archer