[obol] Misc. Coos tidbits of late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:43:24 -0700 (PDT)

Winter Lake near Coquille, now mostly dry on 3/14:
176- GREAT EGRETS (up from 144 there a few days before)

Mingus Park, Coos 3/14:
1- OSPREY (first arrival, hard to tell about other birds around the bay since a
few birds overwinter). Oh, the Nelson's Gull (Glaucous X Herring) Wayne Hoffman
found continues...

Millicoma Marsh, 3/15:
a singing PURPLE FINCH (first I have heard, possibly a migrant)

Catching Slough, Coos 3/14:
60+ GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE
1- TRUMPETER SWAN (still around- seems to hardly move from the spot it has been
for weeks)

Pigeon Point, Empire area Coos Bay, 3/17:
300+ BRANT (Dave and Shawneen counted 380)
over at the sewage treatment plant the SNOWY EGRET was around as usual.

As for the YB Loon that Dave and Shawneen found, it is the 10th Coos record
and, believe it or not, the first between Dec. and April!  We must be
overlooking this species in winter.

That's all I can remember now,
Merry springtime!!!!!!
Tim R