[obol] Mid-summer owl sounds

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:44:31 -0700

As a person that has surveyed for Spotted Owls using mandated tape playback and
a government protocol for several years, I've noticed a change in owl responses
as the nesting season progresses.
Initially, the territorial "song" is advertised by the male owls in the
beginning of the season (Feb-May for various species).  But then, as the season
progresses to post-fledgling state, you might notice a change in the types of
variables (female and agitated) naturally change the type of response that one
may hear, say in April.
Here are examples of what I most commonly hear in the woods right now while
doing surveys in the Rogue Valley.
Western
Screech-Owlhttp://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Western_Screech-Owl/sounds- click
on the bark and Te Te Do
Flammulated Owlhttp://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/flammulated_owl/sounds- click
on the barks & moans
Barred Owlhttp://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/barred_owl/sounds- click on the
female solicitation call, but it is amplified and angry like a scream right now.

Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford, OR