[obol] Meadowlark Prairie, Eugene Northern Shrikes (and Lewis's WP photos)

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 18:16:54 -0800

On my bike ride home in the dusk I tried for Short-eared Owls at Meadowlark
Prairie, with no success. However, riding along the Meadowlark Prairie
between Green Hill Rd. and the Checkermallow Access, I noticed a commotion
between two birds flashing white tails in a small tree near the path. They
were 2 NORTHERN SHRIKES, and after a brief scuffle one flew across the path
towards the prairie, while the other remained near Royal. I noticed a
red-pink hue near the belly of both shrikes, although otherwise they
appeared to be adults. This coloration gave an appearance almost
reminiscent of Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and first glance. I wonder if this
hue was a result of bloody prey or a natural pigmentation. Anyone else
observe this on shrikes?

Confirmatory photos of the Lewis's Woodpecker at Fern Ridge, kite, and
shrike:
https://picasaweb.google.com/116543486500187950130/FernRidge1110?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Good birding,
Thomas Meinzen