[obol] McMinnville Vaux Swift roost

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:12:46 -0700

Thanks to a tip from Kay Fagan, we went out this evening to look for a
gathering of VAUX SWIFTS in McMinnville.  We eventually located a swarm of
~200 birds.  They finally went down a chimney at the corner of 12th and
Evans Streets.  While the house faces Evans (1134 Evans), the event is best
viewed from 12th street.  The chimney has a metal stovepipe sticking out on
one side of the top, but there is obviously an open port next to it, which
the birds used.  They all went down in  a couple minutes at about 7:38 PM.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sulllivan & Carol Karlen

McMinnville