[obol] Malheur county, Ontario Sewage Ponds, a Merlin and a Pec Sandpiper

  • From: jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 'obol' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 14:41:57 -0600

Spent about an hour cruising the ponds and perimeter. A few Barn Swallows were slurping insects off the surface of the ponds. A Merlin sat on the rocks at the first pond for a bit and left to chase a flock of Starlings around. About 50 Eared Grebes were in the back area. Despite trying, I could not turn any into Horned Grebes. No Scoters either. One Pectoral Sandpiper was at the first pond, no other shorebirds except Killdeer, 21 of them. I could not find a rail along the weedy ditch but a few White-crowned Sparrows have moved into the area. One ag field still has drying corn but the other along the river is plowed and bare but apparently not appealing to any larks or longspurs or pipits. I could not find a bird in the acres and acres of plowed field. Full list on ebird. Yah, I am getting with it sometimes, finally.

Next trip I need to try to scope the ponds at Vale. I wandered around today trying to find a person or way to get in, but I failed. Chuck's ECAS Birding Oregon website does tell how to scope it from the highway. Judy Meredith, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
Contact moderator: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx