[obol] Re: Malheur Update

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim Blount <harneybirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 11:47:08 -0700 (PDT)

Tim,

Here is what the Birds of Oregon account says for Common Nighthawk:

"Typically arrives in the last week of May in e. Oregon and the first week of
June in w. Oregon. In e. Oregon, average arrival near Bend is 29 May (n=15, C.
Miller, unpublished data) and 24 May at Malheur NWR with little variation
between the earliest (20 May) and the latest (28 May) dates (Littlefield
1990a)."

Tim I suspect there is warm spells every year, that is nothing unusual.  Having
a bird on the 3rd is not just a little early, it is way early.  This species is
occasionally mistaken (I would assume) as being seen in April and early May on
the west side.

I don't know if there are any other (reliable) earlier reports (before the
20th) from Harney Co. but all I can say is wow!?

Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay