[obol] Lower Table Rock report

  • From: Ellen Cantor <ellencantor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 08:50:09 -0700

Yesterday, April 11, Jill Hubbird, Diane Horgan, and I birded Lower Table
Rock, east of Central Point.  The weather was glorious as were the
wildflowers (and poison oak).  Still some vernal pools on top of the butte,
but no Pipits or Lark Sparrows on this trip. Here's our list, more or less
in order of appearance:

Turkey Vultures (many soaring)
Acorn Woodpecker (heard from parking lot)
Lewis' Woodpecker (1 at start of trail)
Tree Swallows

     the following in the ceanothus/oak grove in the first part of the
trail:
Oak Titmouse (many, singing, one carrying nest material, ubiquitous along
trail)
Bushtit pair w/ nest hidden in a tangle of dead mistletoe
flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers (Audubon)
Western Bluebirds (near cavity hole but we didn't see them go in)
Spotted Towhee (a few)
Lesser Goldfinch (many)
California Towhee (1)
Golden-crowned Sparrow (pairs)
Chipping Sparrow (singing, several along length of hike)
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (in lower and higher ceanothus patches, many pairs,
singing)

     along trail:
White-breasted Nuthatch (pair)
Purple Finch (singing)

     top of Lower Table Rock:
Savannah Sparrow (bright w/ yellow streak extending back from lores)
Violet-Green Sparrows
Orange-crowned Warbler

     trail return
Bewick's Wren (singing)