[obol] Lower River Rd and the return of the cacklers

  • From: Bob <rflores_2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tweeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tweeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:24:37 -0700

Today I stopped at the Lower River Rd Pool to look for the solitary sandpiper
seen several times recently and had no luck..  I did find three American pipits
though.

The corn fields along Lower River rd have started attracting migrating geese.
Today as I was in the area watching the river ( this morning) Cackling geese
and lesser Canada geese began descending on the fields. When i left there were
around 2000 cacklers and 500 lesser Canada geese near Frenchman's Bar.

At Shillipo WMA, NW Erwin O Rieger Mem Hwy, i found 92 American white pelicans
forging in a wetland also 78 sandhill cranes nearby and another 450 cackling
geese came in.  Along the rd i found large numbers of cedar waxwing, American
goldfinch and E. starlings feeding on blackberries.  Also of note a Wilson's
and yellow-rumped warbler also a fox sparrow.

I also found large numbers of American widgeon and lesser numbers of northern
pintail on Post Office Lake, Ridgefield NWR at the end of Lower River Road.

Bob Flores
Ridgefield, WA

Sent from my iPad