[obol] Lots of geese

  • From: Bobbett Pierce <ensatina3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 21:11:52 -0400

lots of geeseBobbett Pierce  9:10 PM To: obolGorgeous walk on the CrownZ Trail
in the Scappoose lowlands this evening, and we were the only ones there. This
had the mallards, and green-wing teals very close in the wetlands, and we
surprised between 250-300 WHITE-FRONTED GEESE. They were in the far marsh with
the duck blind where usually waterfowl don't fly up because of the distance,
but these birds did. They gave us great views of them, and they settled back
down nearby. On our walk back out, we could hear a large number of cacklers
rising up, out of sight.  It wasn't long before they were flying low over us
-- I estimate 5,000. Quite a spectacle. A few white-fronted were with them, as
well. They settled down in a large field just to the north of the trail.Lona
PierceColumbia County