[obol] Long-tailed Duck continues at Seaside Cove today

  • From: Lee Cain <lcain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Listserve <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 19:40:24 -0800

Went down to the Cove at Seaside this morning to find the LONG-TAILED DUCK.
 Near the Pizza Palace on the Neawanna were the usual wintering COMMON
GOLDEYES (2 males).  At the Cove I found Andrew Mattingly and Bob Burley,
who had the LTDU practically tethered.  It was feeding and preening and
doing duck things just off the rocks. The ocean was about as flat as I have
ever seen it. Hundreds of all three scoter species, at least 2 RED-NECKED
GREBES, and a good sized flock of HARLEQUIN DUCKS made for a fun sorting
activity.  Much further out were good-sized rafts of WESTERN GREBES.   The
usual BLACK TURNSTONES and SURFBIRDS were in the boulder field.

On the way home I found about 20 GREATER-WHITE FRONTED GEESE on Stanley
Lake.

--
Lee Cain
Astoria