[obol] Lincoln coast birds

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:29:51 -0700

Somehow I woke up in Newport this morning.  I checked rocks off Boiler Bay,
Depoe Bay, Whale Cove, Otter Rock, Devil's Punchbowl, Yaquina lighthouse and
Yaquina Bay.  I did not find the needle in the haystack.  I really found
nothing of note except in Yaquina Bay.  Between the bridge and the south jetty,
there were 3 BLACK SCOTERS, 2 BARROW'S GOLDENEYES, 3 LONG-TAILED DUCKS, 4
HARLEQUIN DUCKS among the Surf Scoter flock(s) and Greater Scaup (+2 Lesser)
flock.
I saw similar stuff to what Phil Pickering reported except I did not see any
phalaropes.
I searched for a couple hours for the Tufted Duck in Toledo along Olalla
Slough, but was unsuccessful.  Dawn Grafe told me she saw it yesterday morning
from her back porch, but also did not see it today.
A bit further north and farther afield, there were 33 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED
GEESE in Otis at the junction of Hwy 18 and Old Scenic Hwy 101.
Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford, OR