[obol] Leucistic crossbill

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 16:45:13 -0700

I was out on the north spit of Coos Bay the other day and as I was leaving
there was a small flock of birds in a willow at eye level along the road.
I figured they were just House Finches and drove past them but then
stopped, as I had seen crossbills in the same willow clump last year.  When
I backed up, sure enough there was a small group of crossbills with a male
up high on the top of the bush singing away. As I watched them an almost
completely white crossbill flew in.  I had great looks at it and the rest
of the birds.

This afternoon while out there I started wondering how many different
species of birds I have seen that were leucistic, here is what I could
think of:

Red-tailed Hawk (a couple)
Sooty Shearwater (on a Debi Shearwater trip)
several American Robins
a Hermit Warbler
a Lazuli Bunting
a Barn Swallow (seen several miles away the same day by Dave Lauten and
Kathy Castelein!)
two or three House Finches
a couple Dark-eyed Juncoes
and a couple Fox Sparrows.

Oh, and Lois Miller and Knute Andersson reported a leucistic N. Flicker
somewhere up Floras Creek the other day.

I probably left a few out but they are always interesting to see.  I think
they must throw the uninitiated birder for a loop too!

Happy Birding,
Tim R
Coos Bay