[obol] Re: Leucistic Black-capped Chickadee

  • From: JAMES C GORTER <jcgort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx" <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 03:01:44 +0000

We had an identical leusistic Black-capped Chickadee at the feeder in Cedar
Mill (NW Portland) this week.Jim Gorter

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:31:50 -0700
Subject: [obol] Leucistic Black-capped Chickadee
From: jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This morning a chickadee with all white mantle and scapulars showed up at our
feeders. This is the third year in a row that we've seen a chickadee with this
coloration in our yard.  I first thought that it is the same bird. But then I
read the average life-span of the Black-capped Chickadee is just 2.5 years and
that leucism is hereditary, so now I am not sure.  Either way - we're happy to
have this unusual bird liven up our feeder watch.
--
Jack WilliamsonWest Linn, Oregon