[obol] Re: Lead in the Environment

  • From: "Richard W. Musser" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mussermcevoy@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "phillip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <phillip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "joel.geier@xxxxxxxx" <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 02:42:14 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Joel,     Lead in our environment is a hazard to wildlife, and if Calif.
Condors are to be restored, the lead in the bullets, that kill the animals it
scavenges,----must be eliminated. Copper is a viable bullet alternative, has
been successfully used in higher power cartridges, and I'm told actually has
better ballistics than lead. At present, Calif. condors often must be
recaptured for treatment of lead poisoning----and this expensive intervention
could be eliminated with the prohibition of lead. I think the smaller rim-fire
cartridges must also have copper projectiles, because they are shot much more
often, and I believe put much more lead into the environment. But shooters are
very reluctant to give up lead bullets, and they have strong lobbies.  I've
been a long time member of the North American Falconer's Assoc. and am proud to
say it's the first (and I think the only) national hunting organization
(actually international) to support a prohibition of all lead in both
ammunition, and fishing equipment. Other hunting, fishing, shooting, and
outdoor groups need to learn the dangers of lead, and to, "get on board" in
getting this poison from continually polluting our out-of-doors. There are well
over 100 studies that document the detrimental effects of lead on
wildlife-----and many years ago it was removed from paint, because it poisoned
so many kids. It's gone from our gasoline. It's past time to restrict the use
of lead in these recreational activities, because it's having a negative effect
on OUR recreational activity----birding. Best regards, Dick Musser (4 mi. NW of
Vale)

     On Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:40 PM, PWhite <phillip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The kind of all-copper projectiles Alan suggests have been in use since
big-game hunter Randy Brooks started experimenting with the idea in the
1980s.  Great minds!

There's a lot more to bullet physics than most folks here will probably care
about, but here's a link to an interesting article in North American Hunter
in which the author argues that the modern formulation of all- or
mostly-copper bullets are actually better for killing ("harvesting" in
Newspeak) big game, while also meeting no-lead requirements.

<https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/Non-Toxic-Big-Game
-Bullets-Ron-Spomer-North-American-Hunter-June-2011.pdf>

This all seems reminiscent of arguments posed by American car makers in the
1970s who insisted that clear air rules would kill the auto industry.
Instead, emissions standards (eventually) led to cleaner air and more
fuel-efficient cars.

Unfortunately, guns and muscle cars both seem to scratch the same psychic
itch for many Americans, with irrational resistance to change increasingly
being both a patriotic litmus test and a badge of honor.

Phillip White
North Bend