[obol] Re: Lane-Lincoln coast birds

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 05:37:19 -0700

HA! Welcome to our world. You folks might be cooking, but here we are bundled up with 4 layers, hoodies and gloves, it's practically raining every morning, you can't see more than a hundred yards or so, we would love to see the sun and know what it looks like, and stop chivering. Cooling off at our house, which rarely is needed, requires simply opening window, but that requires placing everything under a heavy weight so it doesn't get blown out the other side of the house. You might think we live in a foreign country; all you have to do is drive inland just a few minutes and entire another world opens before your eyes.

Cheers
Dave Lauten
On the Fogged Windy Coast

On 7/15/2014 9:18 PM, Alan Contreras wrote:
Graham Floyd and I prowled coastal Lane County today, exchanging the oven for
the wind tunnel. A flabbergusting breeze blew fog around us all afternoon.

Highlights were a Bonaparte's Gull and at least eight Rhinos at the Siuslaw
jetties, also 300 California, two ringbills and a few Heermann's.

Glaucous-wings, patchy on the Lane coast in summer, were at the Florence
jetties and at Heceta Head parking area.

Bob Creek offered a Harlequin Duck, about as early as I recall seeing one.

There were two xbills at Stonefield wayside.

Small numbers of Least and Western were at several sites and a Semi Sandpiper
was seen and heard at the crab dock cove, Florence.

Yachats was slow but offered a Western Grebe.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone