[obol] Lane Coast Sightings 29 Aug 2013

  • From: "Diane Pettey" <surfbird@xxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:10:59 -0700

Greetings OBOLers,
Here in the Florence area, we've gotten nearly a half inch of rain since 1030am. It finally stopped so from 4-445pm, Mike and I birded Heceta Beach at Driftwood Shores hotel.

Highlights:
WHIMBREL - at least 100 birds
MARBLED GODWITS - 20
DOWITCHERs - 10+, most identified as Short-billed, some too far to identify
SANDERLING - 1000+
Peep flocks - 4000+ Western Sandpipers 3:1 over Least Sandpipers
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER - 5+
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER - 800+

While we watched the huge flocks fly by, a pair of Pacific (Peale's) juvenile PEREGRINE FALCONS straffed the beach area, causing the flocks that were migrating past to completely disappear! After about five minutes, a flock of Whimbrel and Marbled Godwits appeared and farther north, a "ball" of about 300 Western/Least Sandpipers wheeled over the beach.

Wow is an understatement. And now it's raining again.

regards,
Diane Pettey/Mike McDermet
Heceta Beach, OR
surfbird@xxxxx