[obol] Josephine Co Takilma area yard birds

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 09:52:38 -0700

Hello all,

Recent yard birds here in the Takilma area, "upper" Illinois Valley, Josephine Co.

Pairs of both Red-Shouldered and Red-Tailed Hawk are displaying the last few days. Hope both species nest in "our" Gulch (Scotch Gulch, trib of the East Fork Illinois) this season.

We have 2 male Selasphorus hummer along with 2 female at the feeder presently. One male is fully red-backed performing J display dives (with no "pendulum movements" that I can discern). Clearly a Rufous. It's been hanging around several days. The other male is about 70 to 80 % green-backed (with a bit of green on the crown). No displays for this one that we've seen. I'll tentatively call this male an Allen's realizing I could be wrong.

A new yard & feeder bird species for us on March 19th: 2 House Finch (females). Large flocks of Pine Siskin are about and they are finally feeding in numbers (about 9 right now) on our thistle feeder.

best,   RC

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523