[obol] ID help needed-Linda Fink's warbler

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:38:48 -0700

        Here we have multiple pictures of the same bird. I have read countless
times in this forum,"It's extremely difficult/foolish/misleading to base an ID
on a single photo." Here it's difficult to discern a single field mark in Any
of the photos. One shows a deeply notched tail. After 46 years of birding I was
unaware of wood warblers having such. The tail rather reminds me of a
goldfinch. Now someone will probably post a goldfinch photo showing no notch.
      I was oblivious to Linda's reference to "April". But I note a bunch of
swollen yet completely unopened leaf or flower buds--must be April, probably
first twenty days in April. Basically all trees native or not, with the
exception of "English"(Circassian)Walnut , have broken bud in Grande Ronde ,
Oregon by May Day. Orange-crowned Warblers appear there as early as March 25,
coincident with red alders leafing out. This tree seems to be a cherry or plum,
certainly not Alnus rubra. Yellow Warblers mostly appear after May 1st and are
always quite uncommon on the Coast Range's eastern flank. Away from conifers
O-Cs are the default warbler in that same geography, outnumbering all other
warblers combined.  Since I began typing this Dave Irons has posted with nearly
identical pointers, plus some actual comments on plumage. Lars