[obol] How common is it for hummingbirds to glide?

  • From: "kent@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <kent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 13:18:38 -0700

I was in my backyard in Southeast Portland the other day and an Anna’s
Hummingbird was making its way around the garden dining on flower nectar.
Occasionally it would fly up to a tree and perch for a moment or two and then
return to the garden. This particular one glided several times for about 10-14
feet as it descended at about a 45 degree angle, it’s wings completely
outstretched and fixed. When it neared flowers it resumed its rapid wingbeat to
hover. I’ve been a fairly avid birder for 40+ years and have never seen this
behavior before.

Has anyone else observed or heard of this before?

-Kent, Portland, OR