[obol] Re: Help with song

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:42:20 -0700

Thanks for everyone's replies on and off line.  It had a towhee quality, so
an odd Spotted Towhee was my guess as a probable singer (they make a lot of
very different calls/songs). Problem was, it really sounded intentional,
straightforward, not odd. Doug Robinson suggested Cal Towhee. BINGO. I
hadn't heard that one for ... a few years; almost forgotten. Perfect, that
was it, no question. This would be a new location as far as I know: about 5
miles east and half mile south of the south Roseburg, Booth Rd., location
where there was at least 1 for a number of years; about 10-11 miles north
and 2 miles east of the population near Myrtle Creek discovered in the 80s.
Bird could have been in the riparian area or possibly on the hillside that
has grass and shrubs just west of the riparian area (all private land).

Report and map at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14298885

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR