[obol] Hayden Island Surf Scoters

  • From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 18:39:52 -0800

On my way to Hayden Island I heard about the Lapland Longspur found today
by Tom McNamara and took a detour and went there first where I found Tom
about to leave.  He told me the bird was skittish but called when flushed
and was not associating with other birds.  I made a loop of the field and
had the same experience- flushing it once and hearing it call.  It was not
with Horned Larks which I found elsewhere there.  Also there was a flock of
16 American Pipits and a few Savannah Sparrows.  Thanks Tom- that's 2 years
in a row finding one there.

I then went to Hayden Island but unfortunately got there about 4:30.  With
the later hour, the clouds and light rain, visibility was not the best.  I
had my scope which was fortunate as the grebes were relatively far out, but
I was able to pick out the CLARK'S GREBE found earlier by Lyn Topinka.  I
did not see the Pelagic Cormorant (great find!) but did find 4 SURF
SCOTERS.

On this map the Surf Scoters were roughly where the A is marked, and the
Clark's Grebe where the B is.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=45.613482,-122.673556&daddr=45.613384,+-122.672430&hl=en&sll=45.611726,-122.673512&sspn=0.006612,0.011941&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=17&z=17

It looks like this area is going to again be a good one this fall.

Andy Frank