[obol] Hayden Island Scoters

  • From: Philip Kline <pgeorgekline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:08:19 -0700

The Surf Scoters off Columbia Point were still there this afternoon.  I
counted 12, including 2 adult males.  The two males were off by themselves
and the rest were part of a large raft of about 75 Western Grebes (didn't
see any Clark's) and other duck species.

I also saw what I think is the same Scoter identified yesterday as a Black
Scoter.  I too would have observed this bird and left thinking I had seen a
Black Scoter, but I'm fairly sure I saw the same bird.  I uploaded a very
poor photo to the checklist linked below.  When I first arrived there were
9 female/1st-winter type Surf Scoters with the Grebe raft and all looked
pretty typical with blocky head shape and typical pattern with darker
feathers splitting the light patch into two.  Later, these birds had flown
off and there was just the mystery Scoter with the raft.  It did appear to
be fairly round-headed in profile and more compact than the Surf Scoters I
had seen earlier, but I had no other scoters to compare it to at the time.
The bill looked fairly narrow and shallow-based and made a distinct angle
with the forehead.  A very confusing bird and I would love to see more
photos of it if it sticks around or if anyone got better photos yesterday.

Philip Kline