[obol] Gulls and Terns Coos 9/30/2014

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:34:55 -0700

I was out on the north spit of Coos Bay this evening.  The old Weyco pond
had about 1,000 CA Gulls on or flying over when I was there.  The gulls fly
in from the ocean and either land or pause over the pond and then fly into
the bay. I have seen this numerous falls now. I think there was close to
10,000 gulls in the bay with this stream heading to and fro off the old
Weyco pond site.  The enitire bay is filled with gulls now, probably 80 to
90% CA Gulls. As I said, this is typical for this time of year.

Also in the bay were numerous ELEGANT TERNS. I know they have been
everywhere this year, but it may be a year we remember for decades? Anyhow,
there were at least 130 on pilings at the Empire Boat Ramp which all flew
at one point plus another 20 to 50 in the bay.  Getting late- all these
birds will probably be gone with in a week or less.

Merry October!
Tim R
Coos Bay