[obol] Re: (Great Horned Owl) Washington County rarities during "Big Day"

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 10:00:47 -0700

Joe & Greg~
Congratulations on your county Big Day success.  It sounds like you had a fun
day.  Although plentiful in numbers, I don't think a GREAT HORNED OWL (GHOW) is
a big miss during May.  Unless one flies across the road, is silently perched
at dusk or is near a known nest, these birds are not actively calling or
responding during this time of year.  During 6 years of "Big Day" NAMC counting
in Coos Bay, we recorded a GHOW twice and both were silent.  I had this species
nesting in my neighborhood every year and we still couldn't pull one out!!
For my summer employment, I have been surveying ("hooting") for Spotted Owls
since mid-April and have yet to record a GHOW this season.  My point is don't
feel too bad. :)
Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford, OR