[obol] Re: Gray Jays in the Coast Range

  • From: "Karan Fairchild" <alderspr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <5hats@xxxxxxxx>, "'OBOL'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:10:09 -0700

I would support much of the Coast Range Gray Jay discussion, and David Irons
reflection on bird abundance and diversity in the Oregon Coast Range: it is
definitely under-birded, also Darrell's contention that regions of the Coast
Range vary.

What you are likely to find is very constrained by habitat, and varies
tremendously at all scales.  If you're doing murrelet or spotted owl
surveys, you're very likely to encounter Gray Jays (unless your employer has
you on a fool's errand).  If you're sampling for "free-to-grow"
reforestation requirements, you'll miss them and most flycatchers-because
you'll be visiting ahead of good Willow Flycatcher cover.  You might see or
hear a lot of Mountain Quail, but your sampling will miss the peak nesting
use of Common Nighthawk.    It all depends on where and when you're
sampling.

And it's not just age and size and complexity of forest communities that
limit species detections.  Mechanical and/or chemical control of competing
vegetation will totally change the current--and future-bird communities.
The increased frequency of thinning on federal and state lands in the Coast
Range for conifer growth will probably benefit Hammond's Flycatcher and
Hermit Warbler populations, but will reduce breeding and detections of
Western Wood Pewee, American Robin, and Gray Jay.

One final note on sampling bias-locked gates, poorly maintained roads, and
restricted access are extremely abundant and widespread; these you WILL find
everywhere in the Coast Range.  Exploring it is a tremendous adventure!

Jim Fairchild

Benton County Coast Ranger