[obol] Gray Catbird and Long Tailed Duck at Hatfield

  • From: Sally Hill <1sallyhill.9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:49:59 -0700

Sylvia Maulding and I were able to relocate the gray catbird today shortly
before 1 pm.  It was virtually the first bird we saw as we got out of the car
by the western end of the footpath.  The bird flew from the trees to the east
of the path to a low dense shrub on the right side of the path.  It remained
out in the open allowing good looks before it dove into the bush and out of
sight.

We also discovered a female long tailed duck resting on the dock below the
purple Martin boxes to the east oh the Marine Science Center.  It was next to a
surf scoter.  The bird had a white belly very pale almost a Buffy coloration,
black stubby bill and had the distinctive white around the eye extending to
well behind the eye.

Sent from my iPhone
Sally Hill
Eugene Or