[obol] Re: Fwd: [nwcalbird] Apparent COMMON SCOTER in Del Norte County, 25 Jan.

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 07:19:35 +0000

Greetings All,

Paul Lehman sent links to the photos of this bird to me and Shawneen earlier
today. It appears to be a legit Common Scoter (split from our American Black
Scoter a number of years ago). I got a note just now from David Fix. He will be
joining several other Humboldt County birders in an effort to refind this bird
tomorrow. Remote as it might seem to be, this is a species that we should
probably learn and look for on the Oregon coast. The differences in bill
patterns and shapes of these two species are quite striking.

So far as I know, there are no prior records for the U.S.  Like Romain, if I
hear anything I will report it to this list.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 23:03:31 -0800
To: RV-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [nwcalbird] Apparent COMMON SCOTER in Del Norte County,
25 Jan.

FYI,     Very close to OR.  Nice
photos.
Romain

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 19:26:24 -0800

Subject: [nwcalbird] Apparent COMMON SCOTER in Del Norte County, 25
Jan.

Hi all,

Last Sunday Bill Bouton (from San Luis Obispo County) photographed an
apparent COMMON SCOTER in the Crescent City Harbor. He posted a message
this evening to Calbirds that you can read here: :

http://birding.aba.org/message.php?mesid=856472&MLID=CA01&MLNM=CA%20-%20Calbirds

Just to give an idea of how rare this bird is: there is one record for
GREENLAND. Greenland. That. Is. It.

So, many of us are going up tomorrow in hope of refinding the bird and
will post immediately from the field to this listserv and CALBIRDS if it
is refound.

Fingers crossed.

Rob

--