[obol] Re: [Fwd: [birding] Fort Rock Red-shouldered hawk]

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 15:01:52 +0000

In a historic context, a Red-shouldered Hawk would be highly unusual at Fort
Rock, but in recent years this species has appeared regularly in central and
south-central Oregon. They are now regular in the Klamath Basin. They seem to
be nesting somewhere around Tumalo Reservoir and Red-shouldereds are now seen
and may be nesting annually around Malheur. Steve Seibel's report makes the
third in about a week from various locations in Lake County. Hendrik Herlyn and
Oscar Harper had one last week in the Warner Mountains and Jack Williamson has
great photos of one he and his wife Jill saw near Paisley this past weekend
(http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2013/8/lake-abert-and-a-few-points-north).
Over the past 40 years Red-shouldered Hawks have expanded their range north
into Oregon and more recently they have established a modest foothold in
western Washington, with most sightings coming from Ridgefield NWR and the
surrounding bottomlands along the Columbia River. There have been a few
sightings up around the south end of Puget Sound. This ongoing range expansion
has now taken on an easterly component as well. Where that ends remains to be
seen.
Dave IronsPortland, OR

Subject: [obol] [Fwd: [birding] Fort Rock Red-shouldered hawk]
From: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 05:36:00 -0700

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:25:52 -0700

Hi all-- I am at Fort Rock , and just saw a Red-shouldered hawk soaring.  A
great look, 100% on ID except not sure of age.  Will try to see again.

Is that unusual?  I've sure never seen one here before.  Soaring right by
the rock face nearest the parling lot, along with Prairie Falcons and
Red-tailed hawks, juvenile and adult.

Someone may want to forward this to OBOL if my CC doesn't go though...

Steve Seibel 541-990-4633