[obol] [Fwd: RBA: Empidonax flycatcher at Luckiamute State Natural Area]

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:28:21 -0800

To: MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RBA: Empidonax flycatcher at Luckiamute State Natural Area
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:26:00 -0800

Hi all,

Suzanne Ortiz, John Criscitiello, Becky Garrett and I saw an EMPIDONAX
flycatcher at Luckiamute State Natural Area (North Unit/Luckiamute
Landing) this morning around 10 AM.

The main things we noticed were a bold white, concentric eye-ring, bold
white wingbars, very yellow breast (not sure about throat), olive back,
short wing-tip projection (just beyond rump). I had the impression of an
entirely pale lower mandible but not a great view.

When we first saw it from a distance we started off with the idea of a
Ruby-crowned Kinglet vs. Hutton's Vireo ID problem, until we noticed
that it was acting like a flycatcher and went back for a closer look.

The location of the bird was along the trail in the North Unit of
Luckiamute State Natural Area (Luckiamute Landing, WV Birding Trail site
L10). Walk NE along the field road from the gravel parking area about
half a mile until you come to where the field road bends toward the east
(before the road goes into the gallery forest).

The flycatcher was working the sunny south side of the line of
cottonwoods on the north side of the field road (trail), just east of
the wetland area which has the new red-osier dogwood plantings etc. It
did not vocalize at all and wasn't moving around much either, so hard to
relocate until you saw it move. It spent part of its time on the side of
the trees toward the road/trail, but also went back behind the tree for
long stretches of time.

We saw it on our way toward the gallery forest and watched it
intermittently for about 5 minutes before we lost track of it. We looked
for it again on our way back but didn't see it, but presumably it's
still around and might be more active in the afternoon as things warm
up.

Here are some Google Earth coordinates:
 44°44'20.86"N
123° 8'38.87"W