[obol] Fw: [COBOL] Crook County ECAS Wednesday birders - B-G GNATCATCHER

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 17:36:41 -0700

What a windy day for birders hoping to find some small passerines. It didn't
work for us. The intermittent rain probably didn't help but wasn't too bad.
We had to cut the route short on North Shore Drive due to squishy mud.
Probably the bird of the day was the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher near Eagle Rock
and second, the heard-only Mountain Quail in 2 locations.  A Coopers Hawk
hunting at Juniper Cemetery was possibly the reason we found  no warblers or
small birds there. We saw several young Great Blue Herons in 2 nests at the
rookery at the Prineville Sewage Ponds.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Ring-necked Duck
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Mountain Quail - heard, Eagle Rock, N Shore Dr.
Eared Grebe - 4 at sewer ponds
American White Pelican - about 35 at Ochoco Res
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron - and chicks, Sewer Pond rookery
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle - 4 adults
Cooper's Hawk - boo, chased starlings and missed.
Red-tailed Hawk
Golden Eagle
American Coot
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope - about 20, in pairs, sewer ponds
Red-necked Phalarope -  a pair, at the   "        "
Ring-billed Gull - 11 Ochoco Res
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Vaux's Swift - 4 or 5 along N Shore Dr
White-throated Swift - Eagle Rock
Northern Flicker
Gray Flycatcher
Say's Phoebe - Eagle Rock - chasing Laz Bunting
Ash-throated Flycatcher - Eagle Rock, also mp 8 Paulina Hwy
Western Kingbird
Black-billed Magpie
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Rock Wren
House Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Eagle Rock, junipers, sang
Western Bluebird
Mountain Bluebird
American Robin
European Starling
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat - 1 North Shore Dr
Spotted Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Black-headed Grosbeak - Eagle Rock
Lazuli Bunting - Eagle Rock, singing, singing
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Bullock's Oriole - N Shore Dr
House Finch
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Total number of species seen: 69
Birders today Marilyn Keyser, Diana Roberts, Marty Carah, Mike Golden,
Howard Horvath, Mary Oppenheimer, Sherrie Pierce, and Judy Meredith.

NEXT WEEK the WB are scheduled to go to Malheur for the day. This will
depend on whether any unusual birds are around there. Option will be to bird
locally instead if there are no reports worthy of the long drive. Good
birding, Judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx