[obol] Future of Malheur Field Station

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 07:29:09 -0700

The OBOL moderator has graciously given permission for this fund-raising
announcement, owing to the unique role of MFS in Oregon birding and the
special one-time nature of this request.  This posting will repeat once in
early September.

Is Malheur Field Station Over The Hump?

To friends and family of the Malheur Field Station, from Alan Contreras,
president of the station¹s parent Great Basin Society, greetings.

As you know, the Station has had significant success in recent years in
obtaining grants to improve our facilities. In addition, our winter
fundraising drive has been consistently solid and the unique Big Sit raised
over $16,000 in May, 2013.

What does ³raised² mean?  It means that you, who believe in the station¹s
mission, made it happen.

What has your support meant? New roofs. Air conditioning. Modernized
wastewater systems. Improved beds.  New staff in the office and on the
grounds.  Repairs getting made.  Your efforts allow us to say that the
station will have a balanced operating budget in 2014 and for the next few
years.  That's news.

But. We have one more thing that must be done ­ once ­ to allow the station
to get ³over the hump² and operate with a consistently positive cash
balance.  We need to pay off the existing carryover debt that has been
hanging over the station¹s head.

Our lawyer says we need to pay it off.  Our financial advisor says we need
to pay it off.  Our granting agencies would be very pleased if we paid it
off. So would potential future grant-makers.

The board knows that 2013 is the now-or-never year to clear the station¹s
debt so that we can continue to offer you the unique housing and
programmatic offerings of the station. We can¹t wait any longer.

How much is our rolling debt?  About $40,000.  Sounds like a lot.

But. The station has many friends. If every OBOL subscriber gave $40.00 this
coming week, we¹d retire the debt by Friday.  If each member of the Oregon
Birding Association gave $100, we¹d be halfway there.  It¹s not that hard.

This has to be done to keep the station operating.  Our unique status as a
facility sitting on federal land means we can¹t borrow against the value of
the buildings to pay off the debt ­ it has to be real money.

This one-time request is intended to pay off back debts. However, we will
need to continue calling upon our friends for help in sustaining the
operation going forward. Many of you have responded generously to our
year-end appeals and Big Sit May fundraiser to promote the fiscal health of
the Field Station‹contributing toward ongoing operational expenses,
providing matching funds to attract grants, carrying out deferred
maintenance, and so forth. That needs to continue.

The members of the Board of Directors will make it easier for you.  We will
donate $5,000 to prime the pump. So suddenly it¹s $35,000 we need. It¹s that
easy for you to help, too.

Is the station over the hump?  With your help, it will be.  To survive, it
must be. Send your donations to:

MALHEUR FIELD STATION, 34848 SODHOUSE LANE, PRINCETON OR 97721.

We¹ll announce the results of this one-time request at the station¹s annual
open-house meeting on Saturday, September 27 at Malheur.

We¹ll be open.  Be there.

Thanks.

--
Alan Contreras