[obol] Fun (or not) for a blustery afternoon -- goose photo quiz

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 19:13:53 +0000

Greetings All (or at least all who are not chasing a certain pipit),

With the split of the "white-cheeked" geese, the cluster of species/subspecies
that we formerly called Canada Goose have joined gulls as birds that many
birders don't actively try to sort out. Even for those of us who embrace the
torture there are many white-cheeked guess that don't fit a convenient
taxonomic pigeon hole, even after thorough examination.

On Sunday 19 October, I arrived at Boiler Bay State Wayside about 7:30AM.
Instead of the usual assemblage of loafing Western Gulls, I found a single
white-cheeked goose standing on the lawn by the parking area. It was
fun-looking bird, so I snapped a few photos. As I was setting up my scope to do
a seawatch, Phil Pickering drove up. He noticed the goose, not a normal sight
at this locale, and commented on it. Remarkably, or perhaps not so remarkably,
his subspecific ID and aging of the bird were exactly the same as mine.
Figuring that perhaps this bird is more readily identifiable and ageable than
some white-cheeked geese, I decided to offer it up in a photo quiz. There are
three images, all taken under dense overcast early in the morning at Boiler Bay
State Wayside in Lincoln County, Oregon.

I will let this percolate for a day or so and then offer my thoughts about this
bird. Phil is obviously disqualified until after the veil is lifted, but I hope
he will offer his thoughts about this bird and what led him to his conclusion
after others have kicked it around a bit. If you can age it, do so. If you can
ID it to species great. If you think you know what subspecies it is, that's
even better. I hope to use this as an exercise in how to look at these birds
rather than a "gotcha" ID quiz.

http://www.birdfellow.com/photos/gallery/917-a-goose-photo-quiz

Dave Irons